Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
1. When you read a passage like this, how does your heart initially respond?
2. Where (or to whom) does your heart look for evidence of your significance, importance, and value?
3. What happens in your heart when you hear you are exceedingly valuable to God?
4. You are the loudest voice in your life, if you aren’t telling yourself ‘you are smart, you are kind, you are important’ what are you repeating to yourself?
5. How would 1 close relationship change if, from your secure heart, you were concerned only with the other person’s needs and interests?
5b. Pray for God to give you what you think you need for 5 to happen.