“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
1. How does it sound in our culture to say Jesus is the only way? Are you comfortable thinking that and saying that?
2. Do you ever celebrate and reflect on the claim that in the Father’s house there are many, many rooms? How does this inform the exclusive claims of Jesus?
3. Does our culture hear more of the exclusivity or inclusivity of Jesus? What are we communicating more?
4. How does it feel to be told Jesus is doing all the work of preparation? Do you readily receive him as “the way”, or do you try to make your own way?
5. Do you feel that heaven is wherever Jesus is, heaven is to be with Jesus? Why or why not?
6. What do you think of the statement, “for Jesus, heaven is to be with his people”? Could Jesus really love you that much?